Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Kids of Mali, AFRICA

Since I can remember I have always wanted to go to Africa. One of my dreams and lifetime goals, which is sometimes hard to express to other people. I made a lots of pre-arrangements but they never seemed to work out. My friends and I planned our trip to Mali for two long years and finally we found the perfect way experience it- on foot- simply walking from one village to the other and discover how people live in West Africa.

The whole preparation took me almost two months - special equipment, a hunting knife (everybody was laughing at me because of that), many vaccinations and other things too numerous to mention. However, I was ready to go... And... a few days before my flight my passport got lost in the mail from Washington. During these few days I went through a whole variety of emotions- anger, fury, depression and acceptance that I was not going to be able to go to West Africa.

But one day I woke up and had this thought - that it is not over till it is over. Somehow within three days, thanks to wonderful people who helped me I got a new passport! New visa to Mali and I was on my way for my lifetime adventure! 

You can read in most travel guides that Mali is the jewel in West Africa's crown, a destination that seems to have all the right ingredients. And that is true; As I wrote in the email to my friend after my journey I think that trip was quite an amazing and intense experience for me. I've never met a group of people who are so giving of themselves, happy and at the same time so poor like people who live in Mali. 

I would like to share some photos with you from that trip, to give you at least a small taste of that wonderful country and people. 

Below you can find photos of kids of Mali, and believe me a few occurrences involving these kids made me very emotional changing something inside of me, and not only because some of these kids won't survive Malaria, which kills more than a million people per year (90 percent of those who die are African children), but that is a story for a totally different time :)






No comments: